The beginning of a new school year is always filled with excitement and anticipation. Alongside buying school supplies and planning out schedules, it’s also a great time to curl up with books that get students in the right mindset for learning. Here’s a list of top reads that will inspire, educate, and entertain students as they embark on their academic journey.
1. “The Kissing Hand” by Audrey Penn – Ideal for young children facing school for the first time, this heartwarming story about Chester Raccoon provides comfort and reassurance about separation anxiety.
2. “Wonder” by R.J. Palacio – This inspiring novel tells the story of Auggie Pullman, a boy with facial differences who attends public school for the first time. It’s a powerful tale about kindness, friendship, and acceptance.
3. “The Elements of Style” by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White – An essential guide for older students (and adults), this book offers timeless advice on writing clearly and effectively.
4. “How to Win at College” by Cal Newport – A practical guide filled with tips and strategies for making the most out of college life, both academically and socially.
5. “Matilda” by Roald Dahl – A classic tale of a brilliant young girl who loves to read, facing adversities with courage, intelligence, and some telekinetic powers. It’s a celebration of learning and the joy of books.
6. “Mindset- The New Psychology of Success” by Carol S. Dweck – This influential book introduces students to the concept of a “growth mindset,” encouraging them to embrace challenges and learn from criticism.
7. “This Is How We Do It- One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World” by Matt Lamothe – A beautiful picture book that teaches children about the diversity of experiences in different cultures around the globe.
Starting school can be daunting but reading books that stir imagination, offer wisdom, or provide laughter can make all the difference in setting a positive tone for the year ahead. Happy reading!