How to Become a School Counselor in New York

In America, today’s school counselors do a lot more than their predecessors. It may be hard to tell from the outside looking in, but they help teachers and staff handle various issues, counsel parents, and sometimes play a crucial part in shaping education policy. They are a pivotal part of the student success equation, and they help schools create supportive and safe environments for students.

Want to become a school counselor in the United States, but want to know how? Don’t worry; the Edvocate has your back. Check out this guide that we created explaining how to become a school counselor in New York.

Academics: (Option 1) Completion of a NY registered school counseling program or
(Option 2) Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher ed or from a university authorized by NYDOE; and At least 30 semester hours of sanctioned graduate study in the field of school counseling, or (Option 3) Be certified as a school counselor by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS).

Necessary Courses: (Option 1): None; (Option 2 and Option 3) – Complete a school violence prevention professional development program.

Experience: (Option 1 and Option 3) – None; (Option 2) – Mentored experience in school counseling. The practicum must be in a K-12 school setting under the supervision of a regionally accredited college or university with a sanctioned preparation program for the certificate in question. One year of paid full-time sanctioned experience as a school counselor in a PreK-12 setting may be substituted for the internship/practice.
Assessment: None

Is an Institutional Recommendation Needed?: (Option 1) – Yes, required for certification; (Option 2 and 3) – No

Licensure: Prek-12

Licensure Reciprocity: Yes, This pathway allows an educator who possesses a valid certificate in a state with a reciprocity agreement with New York State to obtain a comparable New York State certificate. The candidate must (1) have completed a sanctioned preparation program OR (2) possess a valid, advanced-level certificate in the other jurisdiction and 3 years of service. At least 2 of those 3 years must have been finished under the reciprocal certificate.

Criminal Background Investigation: Yes. A full criminal background check.

Choose your Reaction!