OneDrive has become an essential tool for storing and sharing files, syncing them across devices and ensuring that your data is always accessible. However, like any software, OneDrive can occasionally run into issues. One such error is the “The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid” message that some Windows users may encounter. In this article, we will discuss how to fix this issue so you can continue using OneDrive seamlessly.
1. Update Windows and OneDrive
One of the first things you should try when encountering any error is to check for available updates for both Windows and OneDrive. Updates often include bug fixes and improvements that can resolve your issue.
To update OneDrive:
– Right-click the OneDrive icon in the system tray on your Windows taskbar.
– Click on “Help & Settings.”
– Select “Check for updates.”
To update Windows:
– Click on the Start button and select Settings (the gear icon).
– Go to “Update & Security.”
– Click “Check for updates” to see if there are any available updates.
2. Unlink and Re-link your OneDrive account
Sometimes, unlinking from OneDrive and then re-linking your account can resolve this error:
– Right-click on the OneDrive icon in your taskbar.
– Go to “Help & Settings” and click on “Settings.”
– Under the “Account” tab, click on “Unlink this PC.”
– Follow the prompts and sign in again with your Microsoft Account credentials.
3. Use Command Prompt to delete reparse points
Reparse points are a type of data buffer used by NTFS file systems for various purposes. The error could be due to a problem with a reparse point in your OneDrive folder.
You can delete reparse points using Command Prompt as follows:
– Press the Windows key + X and select “Command Prompt (Admin).”
– Type “cd %userprofile%\OneDrive” and press Enter.
– Run the following command to find all problematic reparse points:dir /a:l /s /b
– Once you have identified the files with reparse points, use this command to delete them safely:
fsutil reparsepoint delete <path to file>
After deleting the reparse points, restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
4. Reset OneDrive
If none of the above steps work, you can try resetting OneDrive. This will not delete your files but may resolve any underlying issues causing the error.
– Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
– Copy and paste this command into Run: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
– Press Enter and wait for OneDrive to reset itself.
By following these steps, you should be able to fix the “The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid” error on Windows. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Microsoft Support for further assistance.