How to Get Your Child Help in School Without Special Education

Special education can be expensive and time-consuming, and many parents feel they have no other choice but to seek help for their children. Here are five ways to get your child help without resorting to special education:

1. Talk to your school. Many schools offer accommodations, such as extra time on tests or in class, for students with disabilities. You can also ask if the school has any programs or resources that may be helpful.

2. Talk to your pediatrician. Some pediatricians offer specialized services for children with disabilities, such as speech therapy or occupational therapy. If your pediatrician is not familiar with special education services, they may be able to refer you to a specialist.

3. Talk to your child’s teachers. Teachers are often familiar with the needs of their students and may be able to provide accommodations, such as modifying assignments or providing extra help during class.

4. Talk to other parents. Many parents feel shy or anxious about seeking help for their children, but knowing there is a community of parents who are going through the same thing can be reassuring.

5. Reach out to organizations that support parents of children with disabilities. Many of these organizations offer resources, such as educational materials or support groups, that can help you navigate the special education process.

Choose your Reaction!