Africa is a beautiful continent known for its historical culture, unique wildlife, and people. There are so many interesting facts about Africa for kids; we can’t wait to share them with you! Here are ten amazing African facts for kids:
Facts About Africa for Kids
- Africa is the second-largest continent in the world.
- There are 54 countries in Africa, all with their own cultures and languages.
- There are 1.2 billion people who live in Africa, which is 16% of the world’s population!
- Lake Victoria, which borders Uganda, Tanzania, and Kenya, is the largest lake in Africa and the second-largest in the world.
- The Nile River is the longest in the entire world! It was an essential source of water and transport for the ancient Egyptians, and most of their large cities and monuments, like the pyramids, were built near the river.
- The Sahara Desert is the largest hot desert in the world. It is scorched, so not many people live there, but a few people manage to travel through and even raise animals in the extreme heat!
- It is believed that modern humans originated in Africa before migrating worldwide.
- There are as many as 2000 languages spoken in Africa.
- One of the more fun facts about Africa – more people are attacked by hippos in Africa than any other animal!
- In the Serengeti in Tanzania, thousands of zebras and wildebeest travel across the land in search of water every year; this is the most significant number of animals that travel at one time on the earth! It is called a ‘migration.’