Professional development is essential for teachers to stay current with the latest teaching strategies, technologies, and advancements in education. Fortunately, there are numerous resources available to support teachers in their quest for continuous learning and improvement. In this article, we explore 12 top resources for professional development, including some free options that teachers can take advantage of.
1. edWeb.net (Free): edWeb.net provides a platform for professional development through webinars, online discussions, and networking opportunities. Teachers can explore a wide range of topics in education and collaborate with other educators around the globe.
2. Edutopia (Free): Edutopia is an extensive resource provided by The George Lucas Educational Foundation, offering articles, videos, and guides on innovative instructional practices and strategies. Teachers can find inspiration and ideas for their classrooms while connecting with other educators through their community platform.
3. Coursera: Coursera offers hundreds of online courses from top universities worldwide. From specializations in curriculum design to courses on assessment strategies, Coursera provides opportunities for teachers to build their knowledge and skills.
4. TeachThought: TeachThought offers podcasts, articles, and professional development workshops designed to help teachers improve their instruction methods and classroom strategies. Their resources cover a broad range of topics such as dealing with difficult students and incorporating technology into teaching.
5. Reading Rockets (Free): Reading Rockets offers a vast collection of reading resources for educators aimed at helping struggling readers succeed. Teachers can find research-based strategies, classroom activities, engaging interviews with authors, and much more on this site.
6. ASCD: ASCD is a leading international association that supports the professional development of educators through various resources such as books, webinars, workshops, conferences, and more focused on best practices in teaching.
7. Center for Applied Linguistics: The Center for Applied Linguistics offers resources and professional development programs to help teachers develop their skills in language instruction, cultural diversity, and bilingual education.
8. Code.org (Free): Code.org offers free programs and resources designed to help teachers learn how to teach computer science effectively. The site features lesson plans, coding challenges, and online tutorials for learners of all ages.
9. TED-Ed (Free): TED-Ed is a global initiative aimed at creating a dynamic space for sharing ideas in education. The platform offers free lesson plans and videos that can be used by teachers to drive critical thinking, innovation, and creativity in their classrooms.
10. National Science Teachers Association (NSTA): NSTA offers resources, publications, conferences, and professional development opportunities geared towards helping teachers improve their skills in teaching science.
11. Teaching Channel: Teaching Channel offers a vast library of educational videos that showcase effective classroom practices. They also provide professional development options with videos tailored to specific grade levels, subjects, or teaching strategies.
12. Common Sense Education (Free): Common Sense Education provides a wide range of free resources including lesson plans, digital tools, and articles that empower teachers to integrate technology effectively into their classrooms while promoting digital citizenship among students.
Investing in professional development is necessary for teachers who want to stay up-to-date with the ever-evolving education landscape. With these 12 top resources at your fingertips, you can confidently advance your career while providing the best learning experiences for your students.