Are you looking for ways to teach students to use correct verb tenses while writing? If so, keep reading.
1. Make sure the student proofreads all written work and makes corrections in verb tenses. Praise the student for each correction.
2. Let the student assist in proofreading or grading other students’ papers to enable understanding of correct verb tense usage.
3. Urge the student to read written work aloud to find errors in verb tenses.
4. Read a sequence of sentences to the student and have them find whether each one is in the past, present, or future tense.
5. Give the student a list of all tenses of verbs most commonly used. Get them to keep this list at their desk.
6. Select a peer to practice verb tenses with the student. Each tense is used in a sentence rather than only conjugating verbs.
8. Provide the student a choice of answers (e.g., more than one possible answer, multiple-choice items on a worksheet, etc.) to facilitate their capacity and ability to recognize the correct answer.
9. Acknowledge quality work (e.g., display the student’s work, congratulate the student, etc.).
10. Do not require the student to learn more information than they are capable of learning at any time.
11. Teach the student writing ideas at each level before introducing a new skill level.
12. Inspect the student’s work at several points throughout the task to make sure the student is using appropriate verb tenses.
13. Get the student to take part in writing learning activities designed to cause them to want to be successful in writing (e.g., writing a letter to a friend, rock star, famous athlete, etc.).
14. Praise those students in the classroom who use correct verb tenses when writing.
15. Praise the student for using appropriate verb tenses when writing: (a) give the student a concrete reward (e.g., privileges such as leading the line, handing out learning materials, 10 minutes of free time, etc.) or (b) give the student an informal reward (e.g., praise, handshake, smile, etc.).
16. Consider using one of the apps on one of our best writing apps lists: