Are you looking for strategies to help students who lose their place while reading? If so, keep reading.
1. Get the student to self diagnose why they lose their place while reading.
2. Get the student to place a ruler or paper strip under each line as they read it. The student then moves the ruler or paper strip under the next line and so on.
3. Take into account the student’s capacity and ability level and experience when expecting them to read large amounts of written information independently.
4. Get the student to read aloud to keep their place.
6. Get the student to read aloud to the teacher each day. Give evaluative feedback relative to omissions.
7. Provide written instructions that are specific and simple to understand.
8. Select a peer to assist the student in keeping their place during reading learning activities .
9. Urge the student to avoid ingesting any substance (e.g., drugs, alcohol, cold remedies, etc.) that might further alter their capacity and ability to track when reading.
10. Get the student’s vision reviewed if it has not been recently reviewed.
11. Minimize the emphasis on competition. Competitive learning activities may cause the student to hurry and omit words or lose their place when reading.
13. Do not criticize when correcting the student; be honest yet compassionate. Never cause the student to feel negatively about themselves.
14. Get the student to read instructions aloud to aid comprehension.
16. Consider using AI to teach reading comprehension.
17. Consider using Alexa to teach reading skills.
18. Try using one of our many apps designed to teach literacy skills and help students with reading issues: