Are you looking for ways to encourage pessimistic students? If so, keep reading.
1. Give the student as many positive interactions as possible (e.g., recognize the student, greet the student, compliment their attire, etc.).
2. Require the student to make at least one positive comment about themselves daily. As the student shows success, slowly increase the number of positive remarks required.
3. Urge and assist the student in joining extracurricular learning activities, clubs, etc.
4. Provide the student additional duties (e.g., chores, errands, etc.) to give them a feeling of success or accomplishment.
5. Help the student identify how they wish things were in their surroundings and work with the student toward those goals.
6. Take time to talk with the student so the student realizes your interest in them is genuine.
7. Organize a reinforcer survey with the student to ascertain their reinforcer preferences.
8. Connect with parents to ascertain what the student finds reinforcing at home.
9. Assist the student to be happy with personal best effort rather than insisting on perfection.
10. Find the words or phrases the student uses to indicate their pessimism. Assist the student in recognizing and, in turn, limiting those statements.
12. Along with instructions, give an incentive statement (e.g., “On occasions where you finish your math, you may have free time.” “You may play a game when your desk is cleaned up.” etc.).
13. Do not criticize when correcting the student; be honest yet compassionate. Never cause the student to feel negatively about themselves.
14. Consider using an adaptive behavior management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
15. Click here to learn about six bonus strategies for challenging problem behaviors and mastering classroom management.
16. Consider using a socio-emotional learning app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
17. Consider using an emotional intelligence app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
18. Consider using a school counseling app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.