Are you looking for hacks to encourage kids to participate in learning activities? If so, keep reading.
2. Observe classroom learning activities closely so peers with whom the student interacts do not encourage unacceptable behavior.
3. Make sure that the classroom learning experience is not so stimulating as to make successful interactions with peers complicated.
4. Teach the student problem-solving skills to better deal with problems that may happen in interactions with peers in classroom learning activities (e.g., talking, walking away, calling upon an arbitrator, compromising, etc.).
5. Restrict chances for interaction in classroom learning activities on those occasions when the student is not likely to be successful (e.g., when the student has experienced academic or social failure prior to the scheduled classroom learning experience).
6. Choose nonacademic learning activities designed to enable appropriate social interaction between the student and peers during classroom learning activities (e.g., board games, model school building, coloring, etc.).
7. Always treat the student with the utmost respect. Talk objectively at all times.
8. Using observation and interviews with other students, determine those characteristics of the student that interfere with successful interactions during classroom learning activities. Utilize information gained to ascertain skills or behaviors the student needs to create for successful interactions.
10. Make sure, beforehand, that the student can successfully take part in the classroom learning experience (e.g., the student knows the rules, is familiar with the learning experience, will be compatible with peers engaged in the learning experience, etc.).
14. Do not punish the student for not participating in classroom learning activities or special activities.
15. Do not force the student to interact with someone with whom they are not entirely comfortable.
16. Consider using a classroom management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
17. Consider using an adaptive behavior management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
18. Consider using Alexa to help the student learn to behave appropriately. Click here to read an article that we wrote on the subject.
19. Click here to learn about six bonus strategies for challenging problem behaviors and mastering classroom management.