Are you looking for ways to teach students not to make inappropriate comments to teachers? If so, keep reading.
1. Talk with the student about ways to deal with unpleasant experiences that would typically cause them to use obscene language (e.g., talk to the teacher, go to a quiet area in the room, visit a counselor, etc.).
2. Make sure that positive reinforcement is not inadvertently given for unacceptable language (e.g., paying attention to the student only when they are using profane or obscene language).
3. Provide a predetermined signal (e.g., hand signal, oral signal, etc.) when the student begins to use unacceptable language.
4. Address the student calmly and deliberately rather than in a manner that would show evidence of shock and surprise.
6. Teach the student appropriate words or phrases to use in situations of anger, stress, frustration, etc.
7. Get the student to question any directions, explanations, or instructions they do not understand.
9. Refrain from arguing with the student.
10. Do not embarrass the student by giving them orders, requirements, etc., in front of others.
11. Always treat the student with the utmost respect. Converse with the student in an objective and professional manner at all times.
12. Do not ignore the student’s unacceptable behavior. Ignored behavior may increase in frequency and may lead to contagion on the part of other students.
13. Refrain from confrontations with the student that lead to unacceptable behavior on the part of the student (e.g., give the student options for alternative tasks, other times to perform tasks, assistance in performing tasks, etc.).
15. Assess the appropriateness of the task concerning the student’s capacity and ability to perform the task.
16. Consider using a classroom management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
17. Consider using an adaptive behavior management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
18. Consider using Alexa to help the student learn to behave appropriately. Click here to read an article that we wrote on the subject.
19. Click here to learn about six bonus strategies for challenging problem behaviors and mastering classroom management.