Are you looking for ways to teach students to follow school rules? If so, keep reading.
1. Notify other staff members of any behavior problem that the student may have so that supervision and assistance may be given.
2. Embody for the student those behaviors they are expected to display in the school environment.
3. Get the student to keep a chart representing the amount of time spent following school rules. Reinforcement should be given for increasing acceptable behavior.
4. Praise those students in the classroom who follow school rules.
5. Give the student an easily grasped list of consequences for unacceptable behavior.
6. Teach problem-solving skills: • Find the problem. • Find the goals and objectives. • Create a strategy/plan for action. • Carry out the plan. • Assess the results.
7. Minimize the emphasis on competition. Competitive learning activities may cause the student to act improperly.
8. Be firm, fair, and consistent when enforcing the rules and consequences contained in the school discipline plan.
9. Get the student to review the consequences of their behavior. Get the student to consider various choices they could have made and the various outcomes.
10. Give the student optional courses of action to prevent total refusal to obey school rules (e.g., may return to the classroom).
11. Get the student to question any directions, explanations, or instructions they do not understand.
12. Praise the student for going directly from one place to another.
13. Converse with the student to explain (a) what they are doing wrong (e.g., failing to follow school rules) and (b) what they must be doing (e.g., following school rules).
14. Hold the student responsible for failing to follow school rules.
15. Give the student positive feedback that indicates they are successful.
16. Consider using a classroom management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
17. Consider using an adaptive behavior management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
18. Consider using Alexa to help the student learn to behave appropriately. Click here to read an article that we wrote on the subject.
19. Click here to learn about six bonus strategies for challenging problem behaviors and mastering classroom management.