Are you looking for ways to teach students to respond appropriately to construction criticism?? If so, keep reading.
1. Make sure the student receives sufficient, positive reinforcement whenever they are responding appropriately.
2. Assess criticism to make sure it is constructive and positive.
3. Get the student to question anything they do not understand while performing tasks.
4. Urge the student to check and correct their own work.
5. Show the student that constructive criticism is meant to be helpful, not menacing.
7. Make the appropriate adjustments in their surroundings to prevent the student from experiencing stress, frustration, anger, etc.
8. Give the student academic tasks that can be self-reviewed.
9. Observe the student while they are performing tasks to monitor quality.
10. Give the student clearly stated criteria for acceptable work.
11. Make sure that constructive criticism is tactfully conveyed.
12. Assist at the same time constructive criticism is delivered.
13. Require a demonstration of capacity and ability rather than having the student perform the entire task or learning experience again (e.g., work a few problems correctly rather than repeating the entire task).
14. Select a peer to model appropriate responses to constructive criticism for the student.
16. Consider using a classroom management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
17. Consider using an adaptive behavior management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
18. Consider using Alexa to help the student learn to behave appropriately. Click here to read an article that we wrote on the subject.
19. Click here to learn about six bonus strategies for challenging problem behaviors and mastering classroom management.