Are you looking for ways to teach students to use learning materials appropriately ? If so, keep reading.
2. Embody organization and appropriate use of school-related learning materials (e.g., putting learning materials away before getting out other learning materials, having a space for all learning materials, keeping an organized desk area, following the daily schedule, etc.).
3. Give sufficient transition time between learning activities for the student to organize themselves.
5. Give sufficient time for the conclusion of learning activities.
6. Make the student organize their work area at regular intervals. It is recommended that this be done at least three times per day or more often if appropriate.
7. Observe the student while they are performing schoolwork to monitor quality.
8. Let logical consequences happen because of the student’s failure to organize or use school-related learning materials properly (e.g., learning materials not maintained properly may be lost or not usable).
9. Assess the clarity and quality of directions, explanations, and instructions given to the student.
10. Support the student in beginning each task to lessen impulsive behavior.
11. Give the student structure for all academic learning activities (e.g., specific instructions; routine (schedule) format for tasks, time units, etc.).
13. Limit the amount of school-related learning materials needed.
14. Give the student an organizer to be used inside the student’s desk for school-related learning materials.
15. Give the student a checklist (e.g., routine/schedule of learning activities and steps to follow).
16. Teach the student appropriate care of school-related learning materials (e.g., sharpening pencils, keeping books free of marks and tears, etc.).
17. Make sure that all the student’s school-related learning materials are tagged with their name.
18. Consider using a classroom management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
19. Consider using an adaptive behavior management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
20. Consider using Alexa to help the student learn to behave appropriately. Click here to read an article that we wrote on the subject.
21. Click here to learn about six bonus strategies for challenging problem behaviors and mastering classroom management.