Are you looking for strategies to help students who have trouble spelling words that do not conform ot spelling rules? If so, keep reading.
1. Provide the student with an app that provides the instruction on and practice on the art of spelling.
2. Create a list of regularly seen words that do not follow spelling rules for the student to keep at their desk.
3. Get the student to find a list of words (e.g., 5, 10, or 15 words) each week that they want to learn to spell. These words become the student’s spelling words for the week.
4. Make sure the student has sufficient time to finish written tasks so that they will be more likely to spell words correctly.
5. Teach the student the sounds that letters and letter combinations make. Get the student to practice making letter sounds as they see the letters on flash cards.
6. Give the student a spelling list of words they use that do not follow the spelling rules. Add new words to the list as the student shows mastery of any of the words.
7. Acknowledge quality work (e.g., display the student’s work, congratulate the student, etc.).
8. Daily, examine those spelling words that have been previously introduced.
9. Praise the student for spelling words that do not follow spelling rules: (a) give the student a concrete reward (e.g., privileges such as leading the line, handing out learning materials, 10 minutes of free time, etc.) or (b) give the student an informal reward (e.g., praise, handshake, smile, etc.).
10. Make the student use the dictionary to find the correct spelling of any words they cannot spell correctly. Place emphasis on spelling accurately.
11. Make sure the student hears the sounds in words misspelled. Get the student to say the words aloud to ascertain if the student is aware of the letters or sound units in words.
12. Utilize daily drills to help the student memorize spelling words (e.g., flash cards, writing the spelling words three times, etc.).
13. Make sure the student does not have too many words to learn to spell at one time.
14. Provide commercial or teacher-made games that give practice spelling words that do not follow the spelling rules.
15. Consider using one of the tools from of spelling apps list.