Are you looking for hacks for teaching students to solve math problems that include decimals and fractions? If so, keep reading.
1. Teach the student that 8/8 equals a whole, 10/10 equals a whole, etc.
2. Select a peer to work with the student on problems involving fractions or decimals.
3. Give an assortment of restaurant menus for the student to choose things from for a meal. Get him/her to compute the cost of the things (each involving a decimal point).
4. Cut pieces of paper into equal numbers (e.g., fourths, sixths, tenths, etc.); have the student add fractions together, subtract fractions, etc.
5. Create a reference sheet for fractions and decimals for the student to keep at their desk.
6. For math problems involving fractions with unlike denominators, have the student use a concrete object such as a ruler to help them solve the problem (e.g., compare 3/4 to 7/8).
7. Get the student to do rote counting by decimals (e.g., .2, .4, .6, .8, etc.).
8. Get the student to do rote counting by fractions (e.g., 2/8, 4/8, 6/8, etc.).
9. Get the student to earn a hypothetical income and solve money-related math using decimals (e.g., taxes, social security, savings, rent, food, clothing, auto payments, recreation, etc.). Pair the level of difficulty to the student’s capacity and ability level.
10. Get the student to use a calculator of app when learning to solve problems involving decimals.
11. Get the student to solve fraction problems using real-life measurements such as ounces, inches, pounds, etc., to ascertain weight, length, volume, etc.
12. Get the student to solve math problems involving decimals using concrete objects (e.g., two dollar bills and one fifty cent piece equals $2.50, etc.).
13. Get the student to solve math problems involving fractions and decimals using concrete objects (e.g., pennies that are one-tenth of a dime, inch cubes that are one-twelfth of a foot, etc.).
21. Consider using Alexa for the Math Classroom.
22. Try gamifying your math lessons.
23. Consider using one of the apps and tools from our many math app lists:
9 Must-Have Apps and Tools for Kids Who Hate Math
10 Apps to Teach Preschoolers Math
20 Math Apps for Learners of All Ages
Advanced Math Apps, Tools, and Resources for That We Love
Elementary School Math Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
Fraction Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
High School Math Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
Interactive Math for the Google Classroom
Math Apps, Tools, and Resources That I Would Use If I Were Still in the Classroom
Math Manipulatives Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
Middle School Math Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
Multiplication Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
PreK Math Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love