A flow chart is a visual diagram showing any process’s steps from beginning to end, using process boxes, flow lines/arrows, and other symbols.
Flow charts are incredibly versatile and can illustrate all sorts of different processes. Some of the methods you may have seen represented as flow charts i the past include:
- Instructions for putting together a flat-packed shelf.
- Directions for making a jam sandwich.
- Workplace procedures for getting out of a building in case of a fire.
- The life cycle of a butterfly.
- How coffee goes from the coffee plants in Brazil to the mugs in your local cafe.
Flow charts are also sometimes called process maps; as you can see, they have many applications.